Google Chrome is considered to be the world’s most popular browser in terms of market share. The default language on Google Chrome (English) can also be changed to your preferred language easily. These steps will tell you how to change the language on Google Chrome for Android, Windows, iOS, and Mac. Depending with the machine you are using, sometimes you can change the language within the browser itself or in others, you may also need to change the default language of the OS to finish the whole process.
How to change the language in Google Chrome for Android
This can be done best via Android’s system settings. If you change the language of the smartphone, Chrome will display all UI elements in that language.
- Go to Settings on your Android phone.
- Click the magnifying glass icon at the top to search. Type Language.
- Select Languages from the list of results.
- Tap Languages.
- Tap Add a language and then select your preferred language. Steps 3 to 5 may differ slightly depending on which version of Android your smartphone is running.
- Use the three horizontal bars icon on the right to drag your preferred language to the top. This will change the smartphone’s default language.
- Now open Google Chrome and the language will be the one you just selected.
How to change the language in Google Chrome for Windows
- Open Google Chrome.
- Paste this in the address bar chrome://settings/?search=language and hit Enter. You can also reach this page by clicking three vertical dots icon in Google Chrome (on the top-right) > Settings. In the search bar at the top of this page, type Language to find this option.
- Click Add language.
- Select the language you want by ticking the checkbox next to it. Then click Add.
- To set this as the default language, click the three vertical dots icon next to the language and click Display Google Chrome in this language.
- Now click Relaunch that appears next to the language you’ve selected. This will restart Chrome and change it to your preferred language.
How to change the language in Google Chrome for Mac
Here you have to change the system default language on the Mac as Google Chrome for Mac doesn’t allow you to change the language. Follow these steps to change to your preferred language.
- Open System Preferences and go to Language and Region.
- Click the + button under the left pane and add the language of your choice. You’ll see a prompt asking if you want to use this as your default language — accept that.
- Now open Google Chrome and you’ll see that the UI has changed to the language of your choice.
- On Google Chrome for Mac, you can also quickly translate all websites to this language. Paste this in the address bar chrome://settings/?search=language and hit Enter.
- Add your favorite language, click the three vertical dots icon next to the language and tick the checkbox next to Offer to translate web pages to this language.
How to change the language in Google Chrome for iPhone and iPad
The system default language must be changed in order for you to change the language on Google Chrome. These are the steps to follow.
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Language & Region.
- Click Add language and select your language.
- Then click Edit on the top-right.
- Now move your preferred language to the top by dragging it up.
- This will change the default language on your iPhone or iPad.