The e-filling website from the Income Tax Department allows you to manage all your tax-related issues. These may include; checking the status of your IT refund applications, e-verifying your IT return and filling your income tax returns online etc. The following steps will help you accomplish this successfully.
- Go to the Income Tax e-filing website’s Higher Security webpage. You can find this under the Profile Settings tab > e-Filing Vault – Higher Security.
- You will see two headings — Login with Higher Security Options that lets you add an extra layer of security while logging in and Lock Reset Password Options that prevents changing the password without an extra layer of authentication.
- Under Login with Higher Security Options, select the option you want to enable. We have several options . You may chose Login through Net-Banking, Login using Aadhaar OTP, Login using DSC (digital signature certificate), Login using Bank Account EVC (electronic verification code), and Login using Demat EVC.
- Once you check that option, click Proceed.
- A pop-up describing the security method will appear. Click Ok.
- You’ll be back to the page in step 3. Click Proceed again.
- The next page will ask you to confirm your authentication method. Click Confirm.
The next time you log in you will be asked to use the second factor of authentication after you enter your income tax e-filing credentials. For net banking based logins, you need to go to your bank’s net banking portal and find the income tax e-filing option. When you select the option labeled something like “E-file your income tax return”, you’ll be able to access your e-filing account. This step will vary according to the method of authentication you choose.
How to lock password reset on income tax e-filing website
The following steps would help you lock your password resets on the IT department’s e-filling website.
- Go to the Income Tax e-filing website’s Higher Security webpage.
- Scroll down to Lock Reset Password Options.
- Resetting your password via net banking is always enabled. However, you can prevent resets via other methods such as Using Aadhaar OTP, Upload DSC, Using Bank Account EVC, and Using Demat EVC. We tried Using Aadhaar OTP for this tutorial. Check the option you wish to choose and click Proceed.
- A confirmation pop-up will appear. Click Generate Aadhaar OTP.
- Enter the OTP and click Validate.
- Click Confirm.
This enables locking password resets with no any additional authentication. The next time you try to reset your IT e-filing account password, you will be asked to the authentication method that you chose.